Monday, March 2, 2009

I wonder...

how often I make insensitive dumb-ass comments? I try not to but I bet I do.

I went to a scrapbooking charity crop on Saturday. I really had to struggle to educate my sister and our friends about adoption and how some people go about it. It was interesting to see what outraged them and what they just plain didn't understand. Of course among the four of them there are 6 children under the age of seven and one of them thinks she might be pregnant. Which is great except for the fact that she's going on vacation soon and wants to drink. So I listened to several hours of "but I don't want to be pregnant right now". Are you F***ING kidding me? Since you are fertile myrtle and you're doing it like bunnies perhaps you should wrap it up till you GO on vacation!

My head hurts just thinking about it. People are weird.

4 comments:

  1. Women who have never experienced IF take their own fertility for granted....honestly, I probably would too. People just have no idea unless they go through it themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Welcome to the world of domestic adoption! I'm an adoptive mommy to a 6 month old. I read this post and can totally relate. Most my friends are pregnant with their 2nd and making comments about "having just finished breastfeeding to do it ALL over again" blah, blah, blah. I try to remember that they have no clue what it's like to deal with IF, but I still put them in their places sometimes. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here from Lost and Found and am pursuing domestic adoption. No people don't appreciate. I'm impressed that you didn't say anything. I don't know that I would have been able to bight my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good to remember how often we say insensitive things ourselves. I get so frustrated and hurt by some comments, but then have to remind myself that (1) often these people love me and are just trying to help and (2) I've said similarly ignorant things to others before. Welcome--found you through LFCA.

    ReplyDelete